Friday, September 02, 2005

Less than 96 hours.

How in the fuck, in less than 96 hours, did the city of New Orleans descend to total shit?

The hurricane hit LA at 6:15 AM on Monday, Aug 29. Now, even considering that the first 24 hours were a hurricane storm, people are behaving like animals.

I was starting to get mad or at least upset that FEMA and the govt. hadn't made more progress in taking care of things. Then, I realized that in the 72 hours following when the storm actually left, they have rescued thousands of people trapped in the flood waters, moved over 11,000 people 7 hours away to Texas, and worked to set up a support structure in the middle of a flooded city. Even while assholes were robbing hospitals, destroying stores and firing at the very people trying to save them.

I am supremely disappointed in the people of New Orleans.

And don't give me that crap about "you don't know because you weren't there". I was around when the NYC blackout hit a few years ago, and there were no looting problems. In fact, New Yorkers (of all people) actually pulled together. I was around when 9/11 hit, and people weren't down in Manhattan breaking windows and stealing stuff. They weren't taking shots and the fireman and policeman helping evacuate. I was around when the floods in '93 swamped the entire midwest and washed towns and homes away. No one used that as an excuse to justify stealing tvs and dvds.

Animals. Animals. Animals. I mean it.

This nearly ruins my faith in people. My survival kit (if you don't have one yet, go make one today) now includes a 12 gauge, and I think that is sad.

And if I ever see a looter, not someone stealing food for their family, but a looter, I am going to shoot them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fact that you were this angry at 5:03 a.m. should tell you something about your stress level. :)

I can't decide if I like the Mayor of New Orleans or if I think he's a jackass.

in any event, i just wish i could GO there and help.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home